Oils for Nutrition???
What are Essential Oils?
Oils are all around us. I don’t know about you, but I have naturally oily skin. However, essential oils are naturally occurring oils found in plants. These oils can be found everywhere and have a variety of uses and benefits. If you’ve ever cut into a lemon or peeled an orange and were overcome by the citrus in the air, you were experiencing natural oils.
In fact, essential oils are often thought of as the “life blood” of the plant. Whether it comes from herbs, flowers, fruit skins, stems, roots, leaves, etc. the oil is special to that plant.
How Can They Be Used?
A true oil (none of those cheap ones) can be used in three ways.
1. Aromatically – So here is probably the most popular and more well-known ways to use essential oils. Many people are now buying diffusers, dropping a few drops of their essential oils, and then the room smells wonderful. Diffusers come in all shapes, sizes, colors, timers, etc. and it’s really up to the buyer to decide which diffuser is best for them. BUT, oils are not created equally so keep reading to find out why.
2. Topically – Yes you can put oils on your skin. The best way to is actually to add a few drops of essential oils to a carrier oil such as vegetable oil, olive oil, or may favorite – fractionated coconut oil. (Fun fact: Fractionated coconut oil is NOT the coconut oil that is solid and often used for cooking. It’s a liquid because the fat has been taken out:)).
3. Internally – Yes, most oils CAN be ingested. If you look on the side of an essential oil bottle, lemon for example, and it says “Caution: Do not ingest” put it back. It’s not safe and the oil is not a true essential oil. What part of a lemon is not safe. I know people who eat the seeds (hmmm…). I often cook with my essential oils. My oldest son will even make lemonade using our lemon essential oil.
Is There a Difference In Quality?
Ahhhh…my favorite question! YES!!!! There is a big difference.
A true essential oil will come ONLY from the plant. It will not have any synthetics added to it. If the side of the bottle says “Supplement Facts”, it safe to diffuse, apply to the skin, and ingest. However, do your homework. I know there are a lot of stores that say, “organic” but research the company because that doesn’t mean they are safe.
The two best and safest will be Young Living and doTerra. These two companies use only the plant to create their oils. Young Living tends to cost a bit less but that’s because they grow the plants in one location. This makes it easier to extract the oils when the plant is ready. On the other hand, doTerra is probably the best quality but can also cost a bit more.
The company actually goes to the indigenous region of the world where a plant may grow and extract the oils from there. The company then gives the people from that country where the oils are found funds to have clean water, education, food, their own businesses, etc. The company is helping thousands around the world be healthier and self-sustaining. Also, doTerra has created health clinics who focus upon healing the body from the inside out, not just fixing the symptoms.
Long story short – Quality is key!! The more potent the oil, the more effective the results. These powerful oils have such strong molecules, they help on a cellular level.
Yikes – I’ve Heard They Are Dangerous!
True essential oils are not dangerous if they are understood and used properly. Here are some common myths and mistakes:
- All oils are the same: There are a variety of oils and and each oil has oils only special “finger print.” Just as no two people are the same, no two oils are the same. Yes, some can be substituted for others but the reactions of each oil vary from person to person. For example, one person my love the relaxing smell and feel of lavender while another person if repulsed. This is why it’s so important to understand there is no one magic bottle.
- All oils can be used the same way: Since each oil has it’s only special molecular make-up, it’s important to know how to oil, diffuse, or inject the oils. Some oils are HOT. These oils MUST be applied topically with a carrier such as fractionated coconut oil (FCO). Typically you’d want to combine a 1:1 ration of oil to FCO. However, for children or those with sensitive skin, you may want closer to a 1:2 ratio. The companies mentioned above also provide premixed oils so if you’re not a DIY person, no worries; they’ve done it for you and even provided children safe mixes.
Even if an oil is not “hot” such as lemon or peppermint, feel free to apply it topically with FCO. The FCO actually helps seal the oil into the skin. It will not reduce the quality.
There are some oils you DO NOT want to ingest. Again, if the side of the bottle does NOT say “Supplement Facts,” do not ingest. I would also recommend not diffusing them either as that can lead to breathing them in.
4. Everyone can use oils in the same places on our bodies: There are also certain places on your body that are more sensitive than others. Some of the best places to apply would be:
- elbow crease
- back of neck
- down the spine
- bottoms of feet
But, if you’re sensitive to a certain area, then avoid the area. Just wafting the oil under your nose can also be effective. NEVER apply to the eyes or put into your ears though!!
5. The more the better: Because quality oils are so powerful, more is not better. I always recommend more often rather than more of it. Oils get absorbed (even more so if using FCO) or evaporated if applied topically. Therefore, after about 4 hours you’d want to reapply or ingest again. The typical amount for the most effective is 3-6 drops of an oil to be either ingested or applied with FCO (do not ingest FCO). However, if you are making your own roller bottle, the amount will vary to the size of your bottle and the product you are making. For example, I make my own household cleaner and bug spray. Different containers, different purposes = different amounts of oils.
What Can Essential Oils Do For Me?
Probably the better question is: What can essential oils not do?
Here are just a few benefits of essential oils:
- relieve headaches
- relieve and prevent indegestion
- reduce and prevent allergies
- heal arthitis
- reduce and remove fevers
- releave skin irrititations
- anti-bacterial/ germ killer
- pre- & probiotic for gut health
- improve brain function
- reduce stress
- provide motivation
- improve focus
- provide calming
…. and soooo many more!!
Essential oils are amazing and powerful. So the next time you hear someone saying, “They’re just good smelling things,” tell them how wonderful they can be IF:
- used correctly
- quality oils are used (doTerra is the best quality; therefore, the best medicinally)
- the effects of oils are understood
There is a reason that oils were used by people thousands of years ago. The most important people, kings, queens, pharaohs, chief priests, rabbis, etc., were surrounded by them. The oils were considered precious and often used for trade as well.
They knew the powerful healing effects and now… so do you!!
If you found this information helpful and useful, please comment below and share!!